When you place “leadership” into an internet search engine you very quickly come up with millions of hits. There are as many theories as there are experts. For me there are a few essentials that the school leader must put into practice in order to move their school forward.
- Uniting people around an exciting, aspirational vision;
- Building a strategy for achieving the vision by making choices about what to do and what not to do;
- Attracting and developing the best possible talent to implement your strategy;
- Relentlessly focusing on results in the context of the strategy;
- Creating ongoing innovation that will help reinvent the vision and strategy; and
- “Leading yourself”: knowing and growing yourself so that you can most effectively lead others and carry out these practices.
Only the implementation of each may differ from leader to leader. Each leader will exercise each essential in their own was as they sum up their school’s circumstances.
You must be logged in to post a comment.